Look at your house “through the buyer’s eyes”, as though you have never seen it before. Any time or money spent on clean-up and repairs will come back to you in a better selling price.
- Inspect the house room by room. Paint if necessary. Clean carpets or drapes that need it. Clean dirty windows.
- Clear unnecessary objects from furniture. Keep decorative objects on the furniture in small groups.
- A clean kitchen is important! Clear refrigerator front of messages, pictures, etc. Clear away unnecessary or rarely used items from counter-tops. Keep appliances clean.
- Sparkling bathrooms sell homes! Remove unnecessary items from counter-tops: tubs, shower stalls, commode tops. Keep your most needed cosmetics, brushes, etc. in one small group on counter. Coordinate towels.
- Rearrange or remove some of the furniture if necessary. Sparsely furnished rooms appear larger.
- Make closets look bigger. Remove and pack away items that can be stored elsewhere.
- Take down or rearrange certain pictures or objects on walls. Patch and paint if needed.
- Repair needed items like doorknobs, faucets, moldings.
- Lighting cheers up the home. Open the drapes or blinds and leave lights and lamps on, especially during showings.
- Have the radio on FM during the day and for all showings.
- LOCK BOX… very important! If we don’t have it, we can’t show the home!
- Start with the lawn, fertilize if needed. Keep the lawn mowed, edged and watered.
- Trim all bushes and plants. Keep plants from blocking windows. Weed and clear planting areas. “You can’t sell a house if you can’t see it.”
- Check gutters and roof for dry rot. Repair needed shutters, gutters and downspouts. Paint the Mailbox!
- Check the house for painting, especially the front door trim. “You never get a second chance to make a good impression.”
- Go around the perimeter of the house. Move all garbage cans, wood scraps, extra building material, etc. into the garage.
- Clear patios/decks of small items such as planters, flower pots, charcoal, BBQ’s, etc.
- Inspect screens/windows and make necessary repairs. Clean windows on the outside!